Sunday, March 13, 2011

Monday Visual Inspiration: Scenes from a Vegas weekend, Part 2

Okay, so after Death Valley, we drove back to Vegas proper to spend the night at a little resort on the edge of town known as La Casita del Four-Footed Dictators. The proprietess of this establishment, Scarlett, welcomed us with open arms, open wine bottles, and the most amazing mini bundt cakes I've ever seen and tasted. The staff and service at La Casita was exceptional, to say the least.


Baxter, the concierge, was ready with a mini tennis ball, after which he would chase with such zeal when it was thrown across the room. He would Tokyo Drift into a wall to get that thing mid-bounce.


The bellman, Thomas O'Malley, checked our bags.


Security was provided by Tinkerbell. Formidable, that one.

After a night good food and drink and the Carrot Top show (whose birthday is on our anniversary, by the way), we were off to a little outlet mall shopping (I know, how American) and then our hotel. The Aria has only been open for about 14 months or so, meaning that it's still mostly in good shape, and we scored a great deal to stay there. To get to the Aria's self park, you have to access it off of Las Vegas Blvd (most places you can access their self park decks off of the back roads running parallel to the Strip). As we drove past City Center (the complex in which Aria is located), I snapped this photo (I think this is Koolhaas' building, but I'm not sure).



After checking in, we had tapas and then headed off to see the "adult" Cirque du Soleil show, Zumanity. (Not for children or the prudish, that's for sure.) I snapped this photo just before the ushers got on my case about no photos in the theater at any time madame, are you from Oklahoma City or something?


Our room was fantastic. Even though we didn't look at the strip, we had a great view and amazing amenities. Even the bathroom felt futuristic--the toilet was in its own frosted glass enclosure.


[middle of the night--Pixie and Guy awake to the sound of loud sex next door]
Pixie: [groggily] Is that someone's TV?
Guy: [not moving] No, it's our neighbors getting it on. It's coming through the door between our rooms.
Pixie: Well, it's almost 2am: he can't be that good at this hour. She should get an Oscar.



The next morning, Guy went off to play poker (where he was one of two left at the table and split the pot with the other guy) and I went to the spa. The entry to the spa was amazing--I'll post more photos of it later. The black monoliths below are fountains--water slowly and barely audibly pours over them. Oh swoon!

My aesthetic reverie was broken by a personal trainer who nearly killed me while I went through a workout with him. (Yes, I got a personal trainer while on vacation. I'm not normal.) However, the workout made the stone massage and facial afterwards feel that much better.


The next morning was our departure day. Here are a few shots of the 24-hour dining establishment at the Aria. I know--their "everyday" cafe looks like a Michelin five-star establishment anywhere else. Those glass-looking cones are heavy plastic discs cut and stacked on each other. Of course, Guy and I scratched and picked at everything to see what it was made of. Being an architect is like being an alcoholic--even if you're not a practicing one, you're still one. You can't stop wanting to know what everything's made of and can we do this on a project at home?

Just an amazing space, one of several dozen amazing spaces in the Aria. Unlike the Amargosa Opera House and Motel, I think I could get Guy to go back to this one.

5 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

Of course, Guy and I scratched and picked at everything to see what it was made of. Being an architect is like being an alcoholic--even if you're not a practicing one, you're still one. You can't stop wanting to know what everything's made of and can we do this on a project at home?
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!! EPIC LULZ!

Miss Kitty said...

Oh, and EPIC QTE on kittehs & puppeh. Larger than Clarky-Pie: Tinkerbell iz dooin it RITE!

faded said...

MHP, I not practiced architecture in years, but I still touch and examine buildings and wonder how thye were put together.

I am glad Baxter is doing well, It has been several years since I seen a picture of him.

Scarlett said...

Oh Dear. Baxter's public is missing him??
NOT COOL, SEZ DAWG!

faded - I'm over at vegasgrits.wordpress.com
Baxter occasionally makes an appearance.

But his blog needs serious updating. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, Miss Pixie? Ya'll come back ANY time. We went through Mile High withdrawls after you and Guy left.

-Scarlett

wilderness gina said...

Skarlet- CUTEST DOG EVAR.

I'm just a lowly from carpenter and I look at details, critique evrah-damn-thang, and take stoopid pictures to see if it can be replicated/modified/applied to some-damned-thang at the hoose.

Snoopy-ness. It's not just for professionals any more.