Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Visual Inspiration: My library's back, and I'm gonna be in trouble

Hey-laaaa, hey-laaaaa, my library's back!

Okay, that was lame, but there's a reason for my throwback enthusiasm. The Ross-Cherry Creek Library has been undergoing renovations for the past 3 or 4 months, and it's finally open! This is good for the community, but especially for me. When it comes to books, I'm a junkie, and libraries are methadone clinics. They allow me to indulge in my addiction without jeopardizing my health, sanity, or wallet (by buying books on the street--shame!!). I celebrated my favorite library's reopening by taking a few pictures.

This is the entry into the library. Not markedly changed (some new glazing and signage), but oh the inside...!



I know! Look at that! It's amazing! Not only has the inside been really transformed, but they've also installed auto-checkouts. From what I've heard, doing this won't take away jobs but rather will allow the existing staff to use their time more effectively. Hey--is that a skylight in the middle of this building?


Freaking. Brilliant. Uplighting hidden on the beams that disperse light on a bright surface provide the illusion of a skylight. I've seen this done now and then in healthcare facilities too, and it's a great way to provide light in a space.


The rest of the facility has been repainted, recarpeted, and reorganized.

Even the children's reading area has gotten a li'l makeover too. I think they're still getting the books back in there from the other libraries.

Other changes I've appreciated is that the toilets have all been replaced, and the stairway is no longer enclosed and on an "emergency exit only" alarm system. The only way to get downstairs to the meeting rooms and restrooms was through a slow-ass elevator, and now I can use my own two feeties to get to the women's room. Upon this visit, I checked out four CDs and five books. Outta the way, kids! Pixie's got a literary jones!

No comments: