Saturday, July 11, 2009

Extreme Balcony Gardening, part 3

Nothing like getting up the morning after a major thunderstorm and seeing your garden glow in the lovely morning light. I took these photos around 6:45 am on a Saturday. You can see that a smaller stalk of corn is leaning over in the green box--seemingly a casualty of Friday night's storm.


A closer inspection reveals--gasp!--little ears of corn beginning to grow! Look at the silky thingies coming out! Eeeep!

And holy schnikeys! I have a few li'l red grape tomatoes, ready to go! Not enough to make chili in the Crock Pot yet, but enough to chop up and throw on a mini pizza or into a salad.

Still don't have the guts yet to pull up the carrots and see how they're doing (in the circular container), but I think they're close. The lettuce in the two long boxes is still kinda small--wonder if I should thin them? Would that get me bigger/better leaves?

Any day now, my people, we'll be eating our very own produce right from the balcony. In the meantime, reckon I should put on my big girl pants and hit the farmers' market.

3 comments:

Wilderness Gina said...

Thinning is always good for lettuce. Pinch away. See youse guys Tuesday. Benni's or booze et home?

St. Blogwen said...

I was wondering if you were trying lettuce. Mine's taking over my garden, and it's all volunteer from two years ago.

I dunno, maybe thinning might help yours a bit. Nice thing is, you can eat whatever you thin!

dissed said...

I love -- LOVE -- that you're growing corn on a high-rise balcony.