Friday, May 15, 2009

The Great Brownie Debate

I love to bake, but my attempts at baked goodness at altitude are hit and miss.  I found a decent chocolate chip cookie recipe, and five years of tinkering got me a serviceable buttermilk biscuit recipe.  However, I've yet to find a good brownie recipe, so I just gave in and started buying the Ghirardelli brownie mix from the grocery store.  I was telling my sister about how fantastic the brownie mix was, when I learned that my sister is a brownie purist pod person.

Pixie:  Holy crap, Kitty, this mix has high altitude directions that actually work!
Kitty:  Man, that's great!  What kinds do they have?
Pixie:  Hmm, they have a chocolate frosting that's pretty good, and a walnut brownie mix...
Kitty:  Ooh, that sounds good.
Pixie:  ...but our favorite is the chocolate chunk kind.
Kitty:  Chocolate chunks?  in your brownies?  Eeeuuww.
Pixie:  What?  It's good!
Kitty:  Euuhh, I dunno.  Brownies shoud either be plain or with nuts, no chocolate chunks.
Pixie:  WHAT?! Are you kidding?  What could be better than a brownie with chocolate chunks in it?
Kitty:  A brownie without chocolate chunks in it.
Pixie:  You're high.  The only thing that makes a brownie better is MOAR CHOKLIT!
Kitty:  Gross.
Pixie:  What the hell's the matter with you?  You don't like chocolate chunk brownies?  Why the hell not?
Kitty:  The chocolate gets in the way of the chocolate.
Pixie:  [head explodes]

So sound off people: how do you like your brownies?  Do you like massively loaded brownie, or are you one of the brownie purist pod people?


11 comments:

Lilylou said...

The heck with the chocolate controversy----you actually found high alt directions that WORK? I always just gave up and baked without worrying about the altitude. It was one way to keep us from being addicted to my baking!

revintraining said...

"The chocolate gets in the way of the chocolate."
LOVE this.

Miss Kitty said...

WTF? You're the one who's high.

an adventurer on the road of life said...

...pod people huh?... I laughed out loud... nothing could be better than more chocolate... But... I must say, "ick" to walnuts.

May your day be full of yummy treats,

kindergartengirl...wandering your way via doreensminitures and other fun blogs!

Unknown said...

moar choklit!

and my brother as a child gave my mother the idea of swirling brown sugar on the top of the brownie pre-oven ... mmmmmmmmmmm crunchy sugary goodness! I don't remember if it is supposed to be dark brown sugar or light ... probably light in my yankee new englandy house ...

Wilderness Gina said...

There's no suchathang as too much chocolate. Ever had Death By Chocolate cake? Is better than sex.
All sex but the last 11 years anyway.

Wide Lawns said...

Chocolate chunks, toasted walnuts, more chocolate chunks and chocolate frosting. I like a lot of chocolate getting in the way of all the other chocolate.

Miss Kitty said...

Evidently, many WAD readers are also high. Jesus Gawd.

Mile High Pixie said...

Baahaaha, Kitty! Even Wide Lawns agrees with me! Join uuuussss...

Wilderness Gina said...

Kiteah needs a bome marrow transplant. Refil with chocat!

Andrea said...

Forget chocolate - my friend has a Brownie recipe (THE Brownies they are referred to) that has carmel swirled throughout. Chocolate and Carmel - two great tastes that taste great together.